By Brian Ives
In 2008, Steve Winwood did a summer tour opening for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, and jammed with them frequently; he’d often join them for a two song set, performing his first big U.S. hit (the Spencer Davis Group’s “Gimme Some Lovin'” from 1966) and Blind Faith’s signature tune, “Can’t Find My Way Back Home” (from 1969).
This summer, when Winwood was announced as the opener on Petty’s U.S. tour, audiences expected more of the same. But, for some reason, it didn’t happen for the longest time.
That is, until last night, a month and a half into the tour.
Once again, they performed “Gimme Some Lovin'” and “Can’t Find My Way Back Home.” Watch the performances below.
Winwood hinted that he might join the Heartbreakers on stage via his Twitter account earlier in the day.
Petty, meanwhile, posted a photo of Winwood, Heartbreakers guitarist Mike Campbell and Tom himself to Instagram.
The tour continues tonight (September 16) in Allendale, Pa.
More news on Radio.com
- Eagles Share Live 1976 Version of ‘Hotel California’
- Rush Unveil ‘A Farewell to Kings’ 40th Anniversary Deluxe Reissue
- Record Store Day Reveals 2017 Black Friday Exclusives
- Rami Malek as Queen’s Freddie Mercury: See the New Photo
- ZZ Top Postpone Tour Due to Dusty Hill’s Health