More ‘Grohl Sessions’ Possible for Zac Brown Band?
By Kurt Wolff
The much-anticipated collaboration between the Zac Brown Band and the Foo Fighters’ Dave Grohl finally saw the light of day earlier this month, with the release of the four-song EP The Grohl Sessions, Vol. 1. The question now becomes, will there be a second volume?
The answer is: possibly.
“Vol. 1 is literally everything we recorded, but we liked the idea of adding to this at some point,” the Zac Brown Band’s Clay Cook told Billboard. “We don’t know what the future holds, but we like the idea, and Dave loves the idea of making more music, too. It’s as open-ended to us as it is to you, but Dave was cool with calling it Vol. 1. So maybe Vol. 2 comes in 30 years; we don’t know. But we love the idea of the intention to do more, that’s for sure.”
The recordings with Grohl grew out of a meeting between the Zac Brown Band (ZBB) and Grohl during the 2013 GRAMMY awards. The group was, Cook said, “just trying to break away from our normal fashion (of recording) a little bit.” The experience of recording with Grohl, he continued, “opened up something in us that we were not tapping into before. It makes you work harder because you’re (recording) to tape and there’s no editing going on as far as in ProTools and computers and stuff like that, which is the way we were making records. You kind of play it about 90 percent well, and they can fix the other 10 percent of it and make it sound great. But you can’t do that the way (Grohl) works, so it tapped into the real musicians in us. It was a little bit freeing to me. Some of the guys like to rely on (technology). There was a little bit of fighting, to be honest — not actual fighting but having to demand more of each musician. But by the end of it everyone was happy and it put us in a great place.”
As Cook said, though, don’t go expecting more collaborations with Grohl anytime soon. In fact, don’t expect any ZBB music in the immediate future. What’s the holdup? As Cook noted, Brown and his wife are expecting another baby this spring — and in the months leading up to that point, the group has chosen to focus on touring.
“We’ve got enough songs to make a record tomorrow, but people like to see us play live, too, so there’s no time to even get together and record between now and then. At some point we have to find the time and the right situation. You don’t want to just go into the studio and try to bang it out as fast as you can. You want to make the best music you can possibly make.”
Cook did, though, say that the bandmembers are discussing ideas around the tenth anniversary of their debut album, the independently released Far From Einstyne.
“We’ve always been talking about putting out the old Zac Brown Band stuff, like Einstyne and (2005′s) Home Grown,” he said. “We’re still discussing what format to put it out. Do you re-release it? Do you try to go back in and make it better? Do you put out a double album? There’s been all sorts of discussions about what we want to do with that stuff, and we may just even put it out there, kind of like what Beyonce did, with no promotion beforehand. But there’s really no definite plans yet.”