A house owned by former KISS guitarist, Ace Frehley was damaged in a fire on Saturday (Dec. 14).
According to the local Lower Hudson newspaper, The Journal News, authorities arrived at the home — located in the Upstate New York town of Yorktown Heights — in the morning hours after it was reported that smoke was coming from the building.
A statement from the Fire Chief said that the blaze broke out in the second floor of the two-story stone house, which once served as a recording studio. Because the stone structure had few windows it was difficult to put out, leading firefighters to fight the blaze into the evening. No details of the damage to the house were given.
No one was in the residence when the fire started, though a man living in the home — believed to be a caretaker — arrived while the fire was being put out.
Frehley later Saturday night took to Facebook to reveal the official cause of the fire. “The official statement from the fire inspector was as follows,” he wrote, “An electrical fire was caused by a tree falling on the wires in the backyard and shorting out the fuse box which in turn heated up the internal wiring in the walls and started the fire.”
He also thanked the fire department for a job well done. “I’m very thankful that no one was hurt!” he wrote. “I’m very grateful to them for all of their help and courage in this matter.”
Frehley was an original member of KISS, playing on hits like “Rock and Roll All Nite” and “Detroit Rock City.” He last performed with the group in 2002 during their KISS Farewell Tour.