Metallica’s Orion Music + More Fest Will Not Return in 2014
The two-day Orion Music + More Festival, curated by heavy metal legends Metallica, will not be returning to Detroit’s Belle Isle next year (the site of the 2013 edition) and will take 2014 off altogether, according to event promoter C3 Presents.
According to the Detroit News, the same C3 Presents spokesperson said that the festival could very well return in 2015, although there is no indication that it will set up shop in Detroit if and when it does.
This year’s event was held over the weekend of June 8-9, pulling a somewhat modest 20,000 attendees per day, despite headlining sets from Metallica and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Among this year’s performers was an eclectic mix that included Deftones, Bassnectar, Rise Against and Dropkick Murphys. Metallica also performed a secret set on a side stage billed under the alias DeHaan.
Metallica drummer Lars Ulrich had said earlier this year that the band hoped to find a permanent location for the festival, after debuting the show in Atlantic City in 2012 and moving to Detroit for 2013. The promoters had originally struck a three-year deal with the city, although there was always an option to pull out at any time.
“We would like to not be the fugitive festival that has to set up camp every year in a new environment,” Ulrich told the Detroit News in the run-up to this year’s event, adding that the city “seemed like a great place to come in and try and establish a festival that could be a part of the yearly concert calendar. If Chicago is Lollapalooza and San Francisco is Outside Lands, maybe there was a shot of doing the same thing with Orion in Detroit.”
The band is scheduled for a European tour in June of 2014 (the same time Metallica hosted Orion + More for the past two years), with dates scheduled in Germany, Belgium and the Netherlands already set and more expected to be announced in the near future.