Reporting Shannon Carlin
Nick Jonas did most of the explaining, telling the morning show that he was the one who initiated the talk right before the band kicked off their tour, which they later cancelled citing a “deep rift within the band.” He says it was a talk they needed to have.
“We’re family first, and that’s always been our main priority,” Nick said. “So honesty within what we do is always important.”
The youngest Jo Bro went on to detail the conversation the brothers had.
“In a nutshell, I said, ‘I feel like we’ve had some complications within the group for a long time without addressing them I think this train will fall off the tracks without really getting real about some of the concerns and some of the limitations that we may feel as individuals in the group,” Nick explained.
“It was tough conversation I’m not going to lie,” he said. “The first time we really had that real conversation it was a few days of working through it, but now we’ve all come to a place after all thinking about it and talking about it together that we feel like we’re best suited to do our own individual things. All things we’re passionate about and we’re brothers first.”
Joe said the biggest complication the band had been the music and the direction they were heading in. He says that the guys were starting to feel the music was getting “stale” and were fighting over little things like the look of their music videos.
“At some point, we thought it was best to finish this and support each other in our ventures along the way,” Joe said.
Though they did release two new songs this year, “Pom Poms” and “First Time,” the band will not finish up their album, V, which was slated for a 2014 release. The Jonas Brothers will however release four unreleased tracks that they worked on before the split. They are also going to release a live album that was recorded last year as gift specifically for their fans.
As for their individual futures, they’re all excited to go in their own directions. Nick and Joe say they plan to record more music, while dad-to-be Kevin is going the business route, starting his own entertainment company.
“We have the best fans in the world, and have for our entire career,” Nick said. “So we thank them for that and thank them for really understanding this move for us.”
Though they cancelled their tour, the Jonas Brothers did not cancel their upcoming appearance at the B96 Pepsi Jingle Bash in Chicago on December 14. Nick Jonas spoke with B96 (a Radio.com station) this morning, letting fans in Chi-town know they would be a part of the show, even if he wasn’t sure what exactly they’d be doing.
“We’re going to find a way to have a Jonas there in some way, and hopefully two,” Nick said. We are going to see you guys, and we wanted to make sure we told you that and the fans in Chicago, and thanks for the support through all this.”
Listen to B96′s full interview with Nick Jonas here.